Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blog Post #5

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom- I think podcasting has merit especially for middle school and older. Being able to provide the days lesson to students outside of the classroom, and at a time and place of their choosing is key. After completing my first podcast this past week, I would be open to trying it with my students. I like the potential podcasting has for inspiring creativity and I also like how it can improve students communication skills.

100 Ways to Use Your iPod- Much like it says, this is a list of 100 ways iPods can be used for educational purposes. It's amazing that such a relatively young technology like the iPod touch can have so many uses in today's classroom. I've said previously, though, that I think the iPad will be the tool of choice for schools (most apps are available on both iPod touch and iPad). The potential for the iPad is in its ability to hold multiple books, podcasts, and videos, as well as to network with each other and the teacher.

The Education Podcast Network- This is a list of a wide range of podcast topics available as a resource for teachers. I found it very organized and easy to use. Topics are arranged by grade or by subject. I think its great someone took the time to put these podcasts in order and it makes finding what you're looking for possible.

My biggest surprise while recording my own podcast was how easy it is to use. I can't speak for any other software, but, Garageband made podcasting simple to record and edit. The most important aspect of the podcast is the script. Research your topic, practice, then record. Simple.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Mitch! I am delighted to hear that you are considering using podcasting in your future classroom. As you said, " I like the potential podcasting has for inspiring creativity and I also like how it can improve students communication skills." The ability to be creative always enhances the learning experience and makes it more meaningful. Also, the communication skill you speak of are what I like to call "incidental learning" because the students provably don't even realize they are gaining these skills. And this is just the tip of the ice burg. I think podcasting should be in every teacher's toolbox.

    Your blog looks great Mitch. Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete